Arduino AND Axis Solar tracker


hi. I had to build and program a solar tracker for my BTech project.
-I got most parts laser cut out of wood from a drawing I made in Solidworks.

Step 1: Parts :


****** You need *****
4 x LDRs
4 x 1kOhm resistors
female pin connectors
chipboard screws
M6 bolts & washers
M8 bolts&washers
Arduino Mega 2560
Motor Control shield (for 2 servos)
1x6V battery if you want to drive it without cables
1 x 180° Servo
1 x 360° continuous rotation servo

Step 2: Step 1: Shaft : 

- I turned a stepped shaft on the lathe where the bearing fits onto. This bearing then fits snugly into the laser-cut base of the compartment. On top of the shaft is the connecting union for the motor. It is fixed through the shaft with a bolt.
- The shaft is pressed into a stainless steel shaft, so it looks like the tracker is sitting on a post.
- Only for aesthetics really.

Step 3: Step 2: box assembly :




- As you can see, the box fits together nicely, with holes at the exact right place for mounting purposes.
- I made two small shafts out of brass round bar, and drilled and tapped them for the side shafts. They both run through a cylindrical bearing in the side of the box.
- I had a 180° servo for the vertical, and a 360° continuous rotation servo for the horizontal. The 360° servo gave me some trouble, and I have not streamlined it 100% yet. But it works.
Only one side is driven, and the other follows as it is attached to the other arm.

Step 4:

- I got a perspex lid, so one can look into the compartment and see what's going on.

Step 5:



- Here is another image of the inside

Step 6: The Sensors :


- The sensors are mounted in 4 Quadrants as seen on a few other projects.

Step 7: Circuit :

Circuit

Here is the circuit setup. The motor shield is of course stacked on top of the Mega. I left it off just for demo.
TEST

- Here is the result *
- The image is the readings that are displayed in the Serial monitor *


EmoticonEmoticon